CURRENT EVENT




Thursday, January 18, 2007

i got owned by kgb

You guys know the scene, KGB and his Oreo. Well today I had a read like that and completely did not go along with it. It cost me a good amount of chips, and likely costs me a chance at the final table.

The $2000 6handed event started today with about 150 players. I played amazing. I went from our starting $4000 stack, to over $45,000 without playing a pot over 20 bets. I have never played such mistake free, aggressive, and play-filled poker ever. For 9 hours I moved to near the top in chips without ever risking many of my own chips. If I can continue to play poker like that for the rest of the year I have no fear that I will end the year with some amazing results, both in tournaments and cash games.

Finally my starting table broke and I got moved to KGB.

I started the hand with about 43k in chips. I found JJ utg at 300/600 blinds, and raised to 1800. One of the shortstacks with about 13,000 put on a show worthy of hollywood, and then moved all in...

A few orbits earlier he played what seemed like a normal pot. It was a blind war, and he called a small bet on the flop, and on the river, he checked and the player in seat 2 bet out 2000. He put on a similar show for about 2 minutes, and then raised to 4000. Seat 2 reraised to 10,000, and they ended up getting it all in with Seat 2 the nut straight and Seat 1 the 2nd nuts, both hitting the gutshot on the river.

Back to my hand, I knew he had a monster. For the whole 45 minutes I had been at the table there had not been a single reraise preflop besides from me. They even were talking about how 'if I reraise you, you better have aces if you come along'. So I knew this guy had Aces, or possibly kings, but JJ only 20 bb deep is just so hard to fold.

"That's quite a show, you got aces down there?"

"Hu?"

"Ok I call"

"Yea, I got aces"....

I lost that pot, and another small pot that orbit to put me down to 24k. I still had plenty of chips, but I was so pissed at myself for playing that big pot when I had such an easy read.

When we hit the bubble at 19 players, we took a limped pot 3 way to the flop, with me holding 33 in the Big Blind. The flop was a pretty beautiful 753, giving me a set of 3s. An old guy led out from the Small blind, I raised, and then he put in a small reraise. I knew I was beat, there is no way this guy doesn't at least have a higher set. Frustrated, I fold 33 face up and the table is shocked, and the Small Blinds reaction I can only describe as "How the hell did I not just take all of his chips?"

At least I learn from my mistakes.

The bubble burst a few hands later, and we redrew for seats. On the first hand I picked up JJ again, and raised it, eventually getting all in with a young aggressive player who had 99. He spiked a 9 on the river to send me out in 18th with a paltry $2700 payday.

I can see my end of the year stats now:

45 cashes
1 final table
0 wins

At least I didn't lose money, right?

No comments: